I was fortunate enough to participate in a guided tour of the Prince George Public Library with my fellow teacher candidates. We had an amazing tour guide that introduced us to all of the wonderful resources, both physically and digitally that are available to teachers in our district.

Photo Credit: Pexels

What stood out to me the most, was the level of commitment and support in providing various educational tools, such as books, story kits, class library visits and outreach opportunities specifically for educators that were interested. It was very clear that the PGPL had a passion in connecting with schools throughout the city, and providing the best opportunities for teachers and their classes. As a lifelong resident of Prince George, I knew the public library was always a great resource for reading, however now as a teacher candidate my view of the library has changed. I now approach it as a multi faceted resource centre for learning, not only for myself but for my future students and classroom. The guided tour throughout the newly renovated space was very appreciated as it gave me a sense of what to expect when I bring my future class here one day. On that note, our tour guide also spoke to accommodating various exceptionalities for learners while using this space. They are very conscious of how lighting, movement, seating and sensory input could all potentially impact a future learner and therefore have various options at hand for students that may require additional support in this way. Yay for inclusivity!

The library set up is quite diverse in that it offers various spaces for all ages and styles of learning. The children’s area is very kid friendly and inviting with appropriate fun coloured seating, smaller tables for games and puzzles, a giant wooden ship to play in, as well as a huge fish take to where kids can utilize this as a calming place. The teen space is also very inclusive, in that it offers free space for older kids to gather and perhaps play a game of scrabble, connect over a video game and or get together with other students through discussions around a table. The overall vibe was very relaxing and low key, which I think is a great spot for kids to feel connected and safe.

As a teacher candidate, we know that reading is essential to learning. I am excited to use the library as a resource especially over the first few years of my career as I start to build up my own collection of resources/ books for my future classroom. Having a plethora of options at my fingertips through the PGPL will not only give me ample opportunities to be creative as a teacher, but provide a space for inspiration and inclusivity for all readers.

Prince George Public Library: https://www.pgpl.ca/content/teachers-educators